March 9, 2022

Angels keep round robins going


Someone sent me this.

A recent round robin left me grateful for angels.

Angels are stitchers who are on standby if the stitchers need to drop out of a crazy quilt round robin. 

An angel stepped in one month as I realised it would be nearly impossible for me to stitch after neck surgery in early March. 

When I signed up, I had no idea that surgery would happen. But then I also didn’t know a chair I was using at a sewing machine would collapse. 

Or that a week later, I would turn and trip. That fall included hitting my head hard at some heavy wood furniture and a hardwood floor.

I attributed that fall and some other annoyances to multiple sclerosis. I knew an upcoming spine and brain MRI would show new lesions or something. Imagine my surprise at learning my deteriorating neck and upper spine were at the root of so many of those problems. 

It was scary how fast a neurosurgeon could operate on me. 

It was comforting to know someone was available to stitch when I could not.

That was the second time an angel participated in a round robin of mine. The first time I was the angel who filled in for a month.

What’s a round robin? Some crazy quilters decide on a form, size of a block, and a theme. Usually, it is either 1 12-inch block that participants take turns stitching or a group of 6-inch blocks with each stitcher embellishing 1 of the blocks. Usually, you get a month to stitch and then mail the work to the next person.  

I’ll share some recent round robins in the upcoming weeks. I love learning from other stitchers - what they add to your blocks.


0 comments:

Post a Comment