The Oatmeal, which the creator calls an entertainment site, gives you 8 Websites You Need to Stop Building, which I'm boiling down to say the world does not need a web site that:
- Tells what my friends are up to
- Shares things
- Clones successful websites
- Requires registration (use what's out there - Facebook Connect, Google, etc.)
- Opens with mandatory Flash introductions
- Proves you are a social media wizard
For inspiration on what and why Inman creates what he does read his post on Why I quit.
Then, get back to thinking about what you want to do for you, your organization or business. How can you ensure the death of an online site won't eliminate your community?